The Lake Superior Zoo in Duluth, MN is hiring a Zoo Crew Coordinator for the 2022 summer season. Zoo Crew is a 10-week summer program for ages 13-17 run by the zoo's Education Department. Teens learn how to handle and care for animals and teach zoo visitors about animals and conservation issues. The Zoo Crew Coordinator plans and coordinates activities and coaches/supervises small groups of teens as they participate in the activities. Ideal candidates will have prior experience working with teens, a strong interest in animals, and a background in biology, zoology, or ecology.
The Zoo Crew Coordinator teaches, coaches, supervises, and evaluates members of the teen summer education program (Zoo Crew) while working closely with zoo staff; schedules and supervises educational opportunities, guest experiences, and animal enrichment projects with Zoo Crew; creates and updates training materials; assists with special events and fundraising, particularly as they relate to Zoo Crew involvement; provides courteous assistance to the public; performs other duties as assigned; and serves as a valuable and contributing member of the zoo team.
- B.A. or B.S. degree preferred or minimum 3 years of college study in environmental education, biology, education, or related field
- Previous experience as an informal or formal educator preferred
- Animal handling and care experience preferred
- Ability to work with teens ages 13-17 and communicate with all ages
- Working knowledge of animals, conservation, learning styles, and interpretation
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Self-motivated, takes initiative
- Ability to operate as a member of a team
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
Availability: Applicants must be available for part-time work/training starting in May. Start date is negotiable and part-time hours are available in April if interested. Zoo Crew begins June 13 and ends August 19.
Application Deadline: February 25, 2022 or until filled
Zoo Crew Coordinator
Posted: February 1, 2022 by MAEE Administration
Category: Lake Superior Zoo