The purpose of the Supplemental Museum Educator position is to implement educational programming to diverse audiences, primarily K-12 students both virtually and while visiting the Bell Museum. To assist in logistical aspects of programming including materials management and on-site preparation, and to support aspects of the on-site visitor experience, including K-12 students, groups, and other museum visitors
We are looking for individuals to join our team who are inspired by our mission to ignite curiosity and wonder, explore our connections to nature and the universe, and create a better future for our evolving world. We believe that difference is a strength and are looking for candidates that reflect and respect diversity. We encourage you to apply for the position even if you do not believe you meet every qualification.
Major Areas of Accountability (with percentages):
School Programs Delivery (75%)
● Deliver programming that engages a diverse range of learners and encourages participation through the use of a variety of teaching techniques.
● Assist in visit preparation and other logistics for education programs.
● Participate in editing and/ or program development collaborations.
● VIRTUAL Present or moderate up to 4 live, interactive, virtual natural history experiences per day to K-8 students. Programs are presented either through Zoom or Google Meet.
● Present from a classroom studio located in the Bell Museum while following COVID safety protocols.
● IN-PERSON Teach up to 4 hands-on science lab experiences per day to PreK-12 students. Lab content spans astronomy, life science, nature of science and engineering, arts, physical sciences and engineering practice.
Support of Public Engagement and Science Learning (PESL) Programs (25%)
● Step in to support PESL programs and the visitors experience on the museum floor, in classrooms, and offsite outreach venues as needed, including the delivery of programs and participation in special event programming
● BA or BS in science or education and a minimum of 2 years experience working with K – 12 youth in a formal, informal or museum educational setting or equivalent experience totaling 6 years.
● Familiarity with technology, particularly virtual meeting platforms such as Zoom and Google Meet
● Creative, enthusiastic and thrives working in a team setting.
● Ability to be flexible, dependable, adaptable, and have a sense of humor in a high stress, fast-paced environment.
● Knowledge of best practices in informal science education and inquiry-based learning
● Formal education or experience in science and STEM curriculum delivery and program implementation, with demonstrated track record of excellence in teaching
● Experience working with culturally and age-diverse populations
● Must be available to work scheduled shifts between 8:00am - 4:00pm, Tuesday through Friday with a half-hour lunch break.
● Must submit monthly availability three weeks before the first date of next month, or as requested.
● Hours are flexible with a minimum of zero weekly and a maximum of 25 hours weekly and will vary month to month.
● Ability to work weekend shifts is desired, but not required.
● Some on-call work may be available to cover unexpected staff absences.
Appointment: Supplemental (hourly position with no percentage)
Application Deadline: April 20, 2021
Pay Rate: $20.60 per hour
For more information or to apply visit:
For more information about the position, contact Kate Sigurdson, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bell Museum Supplemental Museum Educator
Posted: April 5, 2022 by Jamie Madson
Category: Bell Museum of Natural History